Five-Year Estimates Table Tool Instructions
The five-year estimates table tool allows you to retrieve five-year estimates of unbanked and underbanked rates at the national, state, or MSA level, both overall and for various subpopulations. You can use five-year estimates when the single-year estimate does not have enough sample size for the geography or subpopulation of interest.
To start, follow the prompts in the tool.
Select the Year Range. For example, you may select five-year estimates that cover the 2009-2013, 2011-2015, or 2013-2017 survey years.
- Unbanked estimates are available for all year ranges.
Underbanked estimates vary across the year ranges as follows:
- Underbanked estimates are not available for the 2009-2013 year range, due to changes in the definition of underbanked within this period..
- Underbanked estimates are available for the 2011-2015 year range. A household is defined as underbanked if it had a bank account and used one of the following alternative financial services (AFS) in the 12 months prior to participating in the survey: check cashing, money order, remittance, payday loan, rent-to-own service, pawn shop loan, or refund anticipation loan.
- Underbanked estimates are available for the 2013-2017 year range. A household is defined as underbanked if it had a bank account and used one of the following alternative financial services (AFS) in the 12 months prior to participating in the survey: check cashing, money order, remittance, payday loan, rent-to-own service, pawn shop loan, refund anticipation loan, or auto title loan.
Next, select your desired Geography. Available geographic breakdowns include National, State, or Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSAs).
- To get estimates for a particular MSA, first select MSA in the Select Area drop down box, and then use the Select a state the MSA is located in drop down box to select a state that the MSA is (partially or totally) located in. You may then use the Select MSA drop down box to select the MSA you are interested in.
- Select the GET ESTIMATES button to generate the table.
To download the table into a PDF file or spreadsheet, select the Download PDF or Download Spreadsheet hyperlink above the table (at right).
Suppose you'd like to make a table of estimated Unbanked and Underbanked rates over the 2013-2017 period for the Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO MSA.
First, in the Select Year area of the screen, select 2013-2017 in the select year range drop down box. Then in the Select Geography area of the screen, select area = MSA, select a state the MSA is located in = Colorado, and select MSA = Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO, as shown in the screenshot below.
- Depicted is a screenshot showing the main tool.
The image of the tool displays the following information:
- 1) Select Year, select year range, 2013-2017
- 2) Select Geography, select area MSA, select a state the msa is located in, Colorado
- 3) Select MSA, Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO
- Two buttons CLEAR and GET ESTIMATES are located below the drop downs.
Unbanked and Underbanked for Nation, 2013 by Selected Household Characteristics
All HouseholdsChange Row Variables or Add FilterDownload PDF Download Spreadsheet
Number of Households (1000s) Number of Households (PCT) Unbanked Banked: Underbanked Banked: Fully Banked Banked: Underbanked Status Unknown All Households 123750 100 7.7 20.0 67.0 5.3 Race/Ethnicity (PCT) Black 16801 100 20.5 33.1 40.0 6.3 Hispanic 14948 100 17.9 28.5 48.4 5.1 Asian 5882 100 2.2 17.9 73.4 6.6 American Indian/Alaskan 1464 100 16.9 25.5 53.0 4.6 Hawaiian/Pacific Islander 314 100 6.1 25.1 64.5 4.2 White non-Black non-Hispanic 84310 100 3.6 15.9 75.4 5.0 Other non-Black non-Hispanic 31 100 NA NA NA NA Age Group (PCT)
If you’d like to download the table in PDF format, select the Download PDF link above the table (at right).
- Depicted is a screenshot showing a table of Unbanked and Underbanked Households for the Nation, 2013 by Selected Household Characteristics.
- The title of the table is: Unbanked and Underbanked for Nation, 2013 by Selected Household Characteristics. The Subtitle is All Households.
- The image of the table allows the user to filter selected variables in order to create a custom table.
The text introducing the table reads: 'Once you've made your selection, Click "Update Table" to generate a new table reflecting your additional selections'.
- The left column filter is titled 'Default Row Variables'. There is a selection box entitled 'Additional Filter' with two drop down lists and directions on how to select multiple filters by holding the Ctrl key (windows) or the MAC command key ⌘.
Unbanked and Underbanked for Nation, 2013 by Selected Household CharacteristicsChange Row Variables or Add Filter
For additional information, please see the Five-Year Estimates for Unbanked/Underbanked Table Tool Frequently Asked Questions. Or you may contact technical support.